Thursday, October 2, 2014

Jacksonville Quilt Fest Part 1

Happy October!  Wow, is it really fall already?  Seems like we've had only ONE season this year in Florida and that would be the RAINY season!  We are going to have to build an ark here soon!  Hopefully we are on the downside of this wet weather and maybe, just maybe, the sun will come out and give us a little fall-like weather.
Color My World
Last weekend I went to the Jacksonville Quilt Fest, about an hour-and-a-half north of us.  This is an annual show put on by the quilt guilds of the Jacksonville and St. Augustine areas.  This year I entered four of my quilts and Color My World won an Honorable Mention.  I thought I would share some pictures of several quilts from the show.  These are quilts that just spoke to me for one reason or another, in no particular order.  And sorry for poor picture quality on some, once again, phone cameras don't always do a good job in indoor venues.
Rainbow Nouveau by Margaret Solomon Gunn of Maine; original design, hand-guided longarm quilting.  Details of quilting below. 


Harper's Ferry Quilt by Nancy Clarke, St. John's, Florida (above)
Mariner's Delight by Marsha Walper, Tallahassee, Florida (above)
Cotton Club by Sandra Sontag, Gainesville, Florida (above) and detail of quilting by Shirley Robinson, below.

Kaleidoscopic Calamity by Margaret Solomon Gunn of Maine (above) and details of her quilting, below, all freehand guided on a longarm.



Scrappy Nine-Patch by Linda Simons, Roswell, GA (above) and detail, below

Totally Free Spirit by Patricia Styring, St. Augustine, Florida (above) and detail, below

A New Box of Crayons by Anne Babcock, Jacksonville, Florida (above); quilted by Cathy Peters
Boo by Wendy Analla, Georgia (above); hand-appliqued, hand-quilted with trapunto.  From Pearl Pereira's pattern, Baltimore Halloween.  She changed the center panel out to a design that is less scary than the original pattern, which is more suitable for her niece, whose birthday is around Halloween.  Details below.




Sorry I posted so many pics of that quilt, but I do get a little crazy for anything Halloween!  And this quilt was so well done as far as workmanship and hand-quilting, I felt it deserved the attention.  On that note, I will stop for intermission and post the rest of the pictures in the upcoming week.  Until then, Happy Quilting!

1 comment:

  1. thank you for taking the time to post all these pictures, I am in awe of the quilting and the quilts, what a great show. I love seeing what other quilters around the country are making.
    again thanks for sharing I loved the show from my sewing room :)
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete